Spread the Word

Site Feed



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with ...

  • Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!
  • Subscribe in Bloglines
  • Subscribe in NewsGator Online
  • Subscribe in Rojo
  • Add Random 

Bytes (WebLens Blog) to Newsburst from CNET News.com
  • Add to Google
  • Add to My AOL
  • Subscribe in FeedLounge
  • Add to netvibes

Translate This Post

Burn a Feed

Ping the World

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Three-Column Template Generator!

I have blogged a couple of times recently about ways to create 3-column templates. These posts have provided free templates for you to grab and customize, both for blogs and for regular web sites.

If you don't care for my designs, or if customizing them is beyond your comfort zone, you might want to try Firda Beka's Firdamatic tableless layout generator. This easy-to-use tool gives you a choice of two or three columns along with several customization options.

Best of all, you can use the code generated by Firdamatic for a regular web site, or click through to XML versions of the code for blogs. She has one for Blogger / Blogspot users and another for Moveable Type. A great resource. Thanks Firda.

(FYI: If you don't see two side-by-side columns on Firda's site, resize your window: she's got a vanishing float thing happening at certain window sizes.)

10 comments:

Rosemary said...

Wow! I could really have made good use of this about a year ago! But now I'll know where to send my friends who want to try a 3 column site.

I'll have to apologize in advance if I have already invited you. If I did, and you didn't take me up on it, that's shame on you :) If I didn't invite you, that's shame on me!

I’d like to invite you to join our new, family friendly BLOG VILLAGE TopList. I think your blog would be a great addition.

You can find out more about it at Blog Village blog.

Unknown said...

The vanishing float thing isn't really a good advertisment for the generator although I didn't see it. I expect it's one of those IE problems (curse you Microsoft for your strange CSS implementation).

Pam said...

Thanks Dirty Butter, and yeah, you're right, Dave. But it's a problem with just about every 3-col template approach I've come across, including my own in some situations. It can happen with Firefox too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recommendation, Pam! I used the generator and now have a lovely new blog (at least it's lovely in Firefox--can't vouch for other browsers)!

Pam said...

Hey Karen. Thanks for the link! Your blog looks great in Firefox, but ... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your blog has a small problem in IE 6. The right column is wrapping below the middle column. It's a common problem with 3-col liquid layouts, and just means you need to tweak some of your template's styles a bit. Try adjusting overall widths, margins, and/or padding of the three vertical columns styles.

Rosemary said...

Still hoping you'll take me up on that invitation to join BLOG VILLAGE.

I find on my 3 column blog that I have to check my blog in IE every time I write a new post, just to be sure a link or pic didn't mess up the float. It's a nuisance, but better to find it out in time to fix it, rather than later when readers start complaining.

There are several FF extensions that let you easily see your page in IE.

Pam said...

Thanks for the invite. I've been meaning to join, but just haven't found the time to check it out.

ram said...

i cant understand can u explain how i can change to 3 column template of

http://www.hacksecurepc.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

cool program, the layouts it produces are extremely simple, tho

Anonymous said...

yes
check mine ihave done it too

www.techkit.blogspot.com